Mediterranean, with a distinctive hint of spice.
I recently made (and adjusted) this recipe from the book. Pictures of the Eastern Seaboard below.
|Looking across Nantucket Harbor|
White Bean Salad with Grilled Shrimp
Adapted from Turkey
- 2 cups dried white beans or 1 can unsalted white beans
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
|Served with Whole Wheat Flatbread|
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- dash of chili powder
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large pinch dried chili flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 2 tomatoes, cut into thin half moon slices
- Soak dried beans overnight and drain.
- Put beans in saucepan and add just enough water to cover, bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat 50-60 minutes or until very tender. Drain well.
- Soak 4 wooden skewers in water for ~30 minutes.
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- For the dressing, combine garlic, tahini, chili flakes, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl. Allow to sit 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet, add beans and saute over low heat for 5 minutes. Add wine and continue to cook until liquid has evaporated. Salt to taste, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat grill to medium.
- Re-whisk dressing, then slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking.
- Combine beans and dressing in a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Add olives, onion, parsley and tomato and gently combine.
- Thread shrimp on skewers and grill for 2 minutes each side.
- Divide salad and serve topped with shrimp
Provincetown, Cape Cod