|Breadsticks and Pizza Margarita (Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil)|
note: I often halve this recipe when I am making breadsticks for 2-3 people.
Adpated a little from Our Best Bites
- 1 1/2 c. warm (105-115 degrees) water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3-4 1/2 c. flour (I use 2 1/2 cups all purpose and about 1 1/2 cups whole wheat)
1. In the bowl of your stand mixer combine water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.
2. Add salt and stir.
3. Add 2 c. flour and mix well on medium low speed with the dough hook attachment of your stand mixer. If you are using whole wheat flour, add all purpose flour first then whole wheat.
4. Gradually add more flour (usually between 3-4 cups, depending on your elevation and your humidity) until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger. Make sure flour completely incorporates into the dough.
5. Pull the dough away from the hook. Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
6. Gently pull dough out of bowl and place on a lightly-floured surface. Prepare a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
|Dough ready for shaping|
7. Gently pat into a rectangle and cut into about 20 pieces.
8. Roll out each piece of dough into a snake and twist the dough. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
9. Cover pan and allow dough to rise for another 30 minutes.
10. When there’s about 15 minutes to go, preheat your oven to 425. When done rising, bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Rub some butter on top of the breadsticks, sprinkle with seasoning, or dip in sauce and soup.
for pizza dough (makes 2 small/medium pizzas)
7. Pre-heat oven to 500 with your pizza stone in the oven if you use one.
9. Gently pull the dough to the edge of the pan working to create an even layer.
10. Arrange your choice of toppings. (Pictured: marinara, asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, mozzerella, chevre, finely chopped swiss chard, sea salt, and finished with basil after being removed from the oven)
11. Slide onto stone, or bake on sheet about 10 minutes until crust darkens and cheese begins to brown.
12. Remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes.