|Made in Hawaii: Fresh Fish Tacos|
Warm Chickpea and Avocado Salad
Adapted from Cheap, Healthy, Good
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 avocado, diced
- A couple handfuls of cilantro, chopped (about ¾ cup chopped)
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika, or 3/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Black pepper, to taste
2. When the onions are just about done, stir in chickpeas. Add cumin, paprika, a few grinds of black pepper. (Add the spices gradually, and taste as you go.) Add 1-2 teaspoons more oil as needed – you don't want this dry – and more salt, to taste. Cook until chickpeas are soft and creamy, 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasonings as needed. Stir in lime juice scraping the pan to deglaze and therefore preserve your wonderful flavors.
3. Turn off heat and stir in avocado and cilantro.
4. Serve as-is, or over rice or in tortillas. Crumbled queso blanco makes a lovely addition.