|Served with a sunflower sprout and raspberry salad.|
Dutch Oven Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, for a lower fat version use 3 breasts cut in half
- 1 onion, cut into half moons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 3 cups chicken stock, homemade preferred
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, I used sage and parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in large dutch oven.
3. Sear chicken until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
4. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate.
5. Reduce heat to medium and add onions and a pinch of salt.
6. Saute onions until translucent, then reduce to low and allow onions to caramelize. This should form a fond on the bottom of the pot, as seen in the photo, and the onions should lightly brown (15-20 minutes).
7. Add garlic and mushrooms and stir for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
8. Add rice and stir for 1 minute longer until rice is becoming translucent.
9. Stir in 1/2 cup of the stock, scraping all the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the rest of the stock and nestle the chicken into the vegetables. Sprinkle the herbs on top.
10. Transfer the pot to the oven, and cook 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit covered for another 30 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste and serve warm.