Monday, September 26, 2011

Pumpkin! (with orzo and sage)

It is official: I am finally done with my PT classwork.  Crazy and exciting all at the same time.  Now I am spending my days working at a pre-school for blind children for the next 16 weeks.  It has surprised me so far, and I am actually enjoying it.


Even though I have been getting home late, I have been trying a few new recipes, and this one turned out quite good.  For a little more punch, I would increase the sage and the garlic.  I found this recipe through The Kitchn, and thought that it would make a lovely fall pasta.  It is fairly light but maintains rich fall flavors.  Enjoy!  


Pumpkin Orzo with Sage
  • 2 cups orzo 
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped finely
  • 1/4 pumpkin (make the rest into pumpkin puree)
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts
  • 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Garnish
  • Fresh Basil
  • Tomato
  • Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. Peel pumpkin using a potato peeler
3. Cut 1/4 of the pumpkin into small squares, about 1/2 inch thick.
4. Toss pumpkin squares with 1 part of the olive oil, cinnamon, sage, red pepper flakes, garlic, salt, and pepper
5. Spread in a single layer in a baking dish for 30-35 minutes until easily pierced by toothpick
6. Heat water until boiling, then add orzo and stir occasionally
7. After 8 minutes, drain orzo and put back into pot. Add pumpkin cubes, pine nuts, and rest of olive oil.
8. Garnish with tomato, Parmesan, and fresh basil

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, this sounds delicious! I bet it would be really good with Butternut Squash, too.

    ReplyDelete