|Where the magic happened: Camp Kitchen|
in Sodwana Bay (Photo: Mackenzie)
|Whisking the wine into the butter/oil|
Pasta with Red Wine Sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or butter, divided*
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups pasta, cooked to al dente**
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste (I find this dish needs a heavy dose of pepper)
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons butter or oil and allow to heat.
2. Add onions and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. For a richer flavor, reduce heat and caramelize onions (about 30-40 minutes).
3. Add mushrooms if using and cook another 5 minutes.
4. Push vegetables over to one side and add remaining butter or oil into the other side of the pan.
5. Allow to heat briefly, then whisk wine into the fat. Continue whisking until a cohesive, thickened sauce forms. Reduce sauce for 2-5 minutes until thickened to desired consistency.
6. Stir the vegetables back in and add the pasta and oregano. Cook 1-2 minutes to allow all flavors to combine.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve topped with freshly chopped basil.
*I usually use 2 TB of each butter and oil
**for a little refresher on how to get to al dente click here
|Mackenzie and I at Cape Vidal|
|Cape Vidal Beach|
|Kudu on the drive home back to St. Lucia|
|Seafood Feast St. Lucia|
|Sunrise St. Lucia Boardwalk|
|Kayaking (photo: Mackenzie)|
|Campsite at Sodwana Bay|
|Snorkeling with Dolphins|
|Post-Snorkel Hammock Time|
|Sodwana Bay (Photo: Mackenzie)|