Friday, August 3, 2012

Simple Basil Pesto

It is so good to be home. Wednesday morning I awoke with a sense of peace that I have missed for the past month. I returned to some beautiful basil that was just a few inches tall when we left.  Next week I will write more about our adventures, and share some food inspiration.  For now, I am reveling in home. Today's recipe is for simple basil pesto, fresh from the garden.  I used almonds because pine nuts are expensive.  For more flavor, you could add a clove of garlic.

My Little Sanctuary of a Kitchen
Big Basil Plants
Simple Pesto
Makes ½ cup
  • ¼ cup raw almonds
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves (packed)
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
Tomato and Eggplant Gratin with Basil Pesto
  1. Place almonds in food processor and pulse a few times to break into small pieces 
  2. Add basil, salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil and continue to pulse
  3. Drizzle remaining olive oil until consistency meets your fancy
  4. To duplicate the dish pictured: follow the recipe for Tomato and Eggplant Gratin, but omit the thyme.  After removing from oven, drizzle or spoon pesto over the top and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment