Monday, September 24, 2012

Potato Leek Soup

Weekend of Camping and Biking in Crested Butte
I am slightly obsessed with September and the beginning of fall.  The aspen trees are bright gold, the nights are cool enough to put away the fan, pie pumpkins have graced the shelf, and I don't overheat my house if I make soup.  Last year I acquired a beautiful copy of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  I often use it as a reference for technique, but I rarely follow recipes, and this is no exception to the rule.  There is one recipe in the book that I can't tear myself away from: Potato Leek Soup.  The soup is velvety, light, and filling all at the same time.  The recipe is simple, but the soup is better than the sum of its parts.  I have made a few substitutions, but the overall recipe is Julia.  The butter at the end is genius, use olive oil to make this vegan.  Serve with crusty homemade bread.

Potato Leek Soup
Adapted from Julia Child
  • 1.5 pounds yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and sliced or diced
  • 1.5 pounds leeks, chopped and including tender green
  • 2 quarts vegetable stock, homemade preferred, no sodium
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons minced parsley

1. Add vegetables, stock and water to a large saucepan or stock pot and simmer partially covered for 40-50 minutes until potatoes are soft.*
Mt Crested Butte, from our campsite
2. Add salt and pepper after simmering has started and stir.
3. Using a hand blender, blend until smooth.  Alternatively you can just mash the vegetables with a fork.  Other alternatives include a food mill or traditional blender in batches.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the butter by spoonfuls.
5. Serve garnished with fresh parsley.

*Expect this to take ~25% longer at altitude.

2 comments:

  1. Stumbled across your blog and thought I'd say hi :) Potato Leek soup sounds perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me, and thanks for the hello!

      Delete