This soup is basic. It is the perfect cure for winter blues or grays, and is quick enough for a weeknight meal.
Vegetable Barley Soup
Adapted from Picky Cook
- 2 large or 3 small leeks, cut in small half moons
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 carrots, large dice or half moons
- 1 large russet potato or 3 red potatoes, peeled and 1 inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Minced parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil, add leeks and allow to soften. Add garlic and a pinch of salt, cook until fragrant (1 minute).
- Stir in carrots, celery and potato and cook about 5 minutes.
- Push vegetables to the side and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Stir tomato paste in oil until it begins to stick and darkens (1-2 minutes). Incorporate into the vegetable mixture.
- Add barley and cook stirring 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle paprika and oregano over the mixture and stir.
- Add stock and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 25-30 minutes until potatoes are soft and barley cooks through (this will take an extra 15 minutes at altitude).
- Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice. Serve topped with minced parsley.
|View from the start deck at the X Games SuperPipe. We got to slip between riders.|
|Learning the basics of digging a snow pit during a weekend avy safety course.|
|Clouds in the valley.|